Are you interested in becoming a Pilots Billet Family for the 2018-2019 season?
Here is some basic information about the program:
• The Pilots players are played with host families, or “Billet” Families, during the hockey season. Billet Families are an essential part of any junior hockey program and the Pilots are committed to developing and maintaining a billet program that is second to none.
• The players are between 16-20 years old, with the majority being 18-20. A majority of players come to Topeka from across the United States, but some come from around the world. Being so far away from home, the players need a stable and very supportive home environment during their stay in Topeka to help them succeed on and off the ice.
• The players arrive in late August and stay through the end of the season (typically mid- to late-April), usually with a short window to travel home for Christmas.
• Billet Families receive a monthly stipend of $300 per player to help offset the cost of housing the player(s). This is paid directly by the player and monitored by the billet coordinator.
• We have a team ‘Code of Conduct’ that the players must abide by while playing for the Pilots, and host families are expected to enforce these team rules. Upon being accepted as a Billet Family, you will be given the team guidelines which will cover topics such as: curfew, social gatherings, problems that may occur, emergencies, etc. In addition to the team guidelines, players will be expected to follow any house rules that you may impose.
• Players will have practice daily during the week, with Sundays generally being a day off.
• Some Pilots players may still be in high school. They will either finish their schooling online or attend a local high school.
• Players not in high school will be required to either work part-time, take college classes, or perform pre-approved community service.
• Most players will have their own transportation. If not, transportation to practice, games and school and/or work is a detail that will be worked out with each player and is not the responsibility of the Billet Family.
As mentioned above, we want our Billet Family program to be second to none. We will work to match each player’s personality and background with the most appropriate billet home. Furthermore, each potential billet family is carefully screened and presented with our team’s expectations of the family. Personal visits will be done throughout the year to ensure that both the player and the host family are meeting those expectations and guidelines.
Thank you for your interest in supporting the Topeka Pilots Billet Program! If you are interested in billeting a player, please complete the application below.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact our Billet Coordinator: